15th International Conference on Electronic Publishing
June 22-24, 2011, Istanbul, Turkey
Digital Publishing and Mobile Technologies
(First Call for Papers –October 2010)
Smart phones and tablet computers such as iPhone and iPad have not only increased the pace of digital publishing but also fueled sharing digital information instantly in textual, audio and video formats through social networks. It is projected that mobile data traffic will grow 40 times over the next five years and that more people will, by 2013, access the Web from their mobile devices than from their desktop computers. Mobile technologies could “push digital publishing past tipping point by 2014,” as people are using digital magazines and journals much more often than their print equivalents.
“Digital Publishing and Mobile Technologies” will be the main theme of the 15th International Conference on Electronic Publishing (ELPUB), to be held in Istanbul, Turkey, from June 22-24, 2011. ELPUB2011 will bring together both researchers and practitioners to discuss digital publishing and mobile applications along with their implications for scholarly communication, information services, e-learning, e-businesses and digital cultural heritage sector. Digital publishing software and applications for mobile devices will be highlighted along with the integration of their functional capabilities such as location awareness with digital resources. Methods by which digital content can be repurposed for mobile devices and mobile users will also be discussed, as they have different browsing, reading and viewing habits.
We welcome research papers from members of the communities whose work are transforming the nature of digital publishing, scholarly communication, mobile technologies, and mobile information services. We also welcome practical papers and case studies dealing with various aspects of the main theme of the conference. Main topics include (but not limited to) the following:
Digital Publishing and Mobile Applications
- Digital publishing and mobile technologies (Smartphones, tablet computers, PDAs, etc.)
- Digital publishing, Web 3.0 and mobile applications
- Digital publishing and location aware mobile devices
- Mobile operating systems, applications and browsers
- Digital publishing, mobile standards (HTML5, etc.) and interoperability
Digital Publishing, Libraries, Archives and Museums
- Digital publishing and information services in libraries, archives and museums
- Intelligent digital publishing software
- Self-service digital publishing
- Digital publishing platforms in libraries, archives and museums
- Innovative business models for mobile digital publishing
- Mobile distribution of e-contents and e-books in libraries, archives and museums
- Adobe digital publishing in libraries, archives and museums
Scholarly Communication and Mobile Information Services
- Mobile scholarly communication
- New scholarly constructs and discourse methods for mobile communication
- Repurposing digital content for mobile devices
- Bringing digital content to mobile users
- Mobile information management
- Personalization of mobile information management
- Mobile information literacy
- Information seeking behaviors of mobile users
- Integration of location awareness with digital resources
- Mobile advertising and mobile commerce
- Mobile use of e-journals, e-zines, blogs, wikis, etc.
- Digital magazines and digital magazine portals
- Mobile e-book readers
- Interactive magazines
- Mobile mashups
Social Networks and Mobile Technologies
- Mobile devices and social networks
- Mobile video
- Protection of mobile data
- Identity management and mobile devices
- Digital rights management and mobile technologies
Mobile Learning and Digital Cultural Heritage
- Mobile learning
- Mobile access to digital cultural heritage
- Digital re-discovery of culture
- Digital museums and exhibitions
- Mobile Europeana
Mobile Information Organization and Retrieval
- Mobile information retrieval
- Metadata and mobile devices
- GIS and mobile information retrieval
- Location aware search and retrieval
- Mobile information retrieval and Semantic Web
- Information architecture and mobile content design
- Information granularity and digital objects
- Organization of content generated by mobile users
- Usability and m-libraries
- Usage and impact of digital content
Contributions are invited for the following categories:
- Research papers (up to 10 pages; please use the template in the conference web site)
- Posters (up to 3 pages; please use the template in the conference web site)
- Extended abstracts (a minimum of 1,000 and maximum of 1,500 words; please specify it as “extended abstract” using the template)
- Tutorials (abstract min. of 500 and max. of 1,000 words)
- Workshops (abstract min. of 500 and max. of 1,000 words)
- Demonstration (abstract min. of 500 and max. of 1,000 words)
Student papers and posters are also welcome.
All submissions are subject to double-blind peer review and acceptance by the international ELPUB Programme Committee. Accepted full papers will be published in the conference proceedings book and indexed in A&I services. Accepted abstracts will be extended to full papers and published online only. Final versions of all the works will be available online and archived at: http://elpub.scix.net.
Please use the template available in the conference web site to prepare your contributions and proposals, and send them to us through the Conference Management System available in the conference web site.
- December 6, 2010: Opening of submissions of full-text papers and extended abstracts.
- January 10, 2011: Deadline for submission of full-text papers and extended abstracts (in all categories).
- February 14, 2011: Notification of acceptance of submitted papers and extended abstracts
- March 21, 2011: Deadline for submissions of all final papers in camera ready form.
Conference dates and location: June 22-24, 2011, Istanbul (European Capital of Culture 2010)
Conference Host: Department of Information Management, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
General Chair: Yaşar Tonta, Hacettepe University, Department of Information Management, Ankara, Turkey, tonta at hacettepe.edu.tr
Programme Chair: Ana Alice Baptista, University of Minho, Portugal. analice at dsi.uminho.pt
All suggestions and comments are welcome. Please send us your ideas about possible invited speakers at tonta at hacettepe.edu.tr
Looking forward to your contributions to and participation in the conference.
Yaşar Tonta, General Chair, Hacettepe University, Turkey
Ana Alice Baptista, Programme Chair, University of Minho, Portugal